Sixteen Trackmen to Fly to London For Oxford-Cambridge Track Meet

One of the most successful track seasons in Harvard history will be brought to a close on an international level next week when 16 Crimson stars will participate with Yale in the biennial dual meet against Oxford and Cambridge. The team leaves for England tomorrow, and will have a week of training before the meet takes place in London on Wednesday, June 12.

As usual, the Ivy Leaguers will be heavy favorites against their Oxbridge counterparts. In the last meet, which was held in 1961, the Americans swept to eleven first places; the English won only four events. The Harvard-Yale stars were paced in that meet by Tom Blodgett '61, who will return this year as captain of the Oxford-Cambridge team.

Also looking forward to a reunion with his former teammates will be Mark Mullin '62, who is at Oxford on a Marshall scholarship. Mullin is reportedly in excellent condition, and will probably face his old friends, Ed Hamlin and Ed Meehan, in the mile. Mullin won the half-mile in the Oxford-Cambridge dual meet with an exceptional time of 1 min. 50.0 secs.

The Harvard-Yale team, captained by Crimson star Hamlin, will arrive in England by plane on Wednesday. They will travel to Cambridge to recover the fine-edge which they lost during exam period, and will then go to London on the next Tuesday for the meet in famed White City Stadium.

The team will be healthy, if not fresh. The only injured participant at present is triple jumper Chum Azikiwe, who slightly pulled a muscle in the IC4A championships on Saturday. Hamlin appears to have recovered from the injuries which plagued him all year.

The performance of the Crimson will be an interesting indication of prospects for next year's team. Only captain Hamlin, Azikiwe, hurdler Hank Hatch, and pole vauter Jay Mahaney are graduating among those making the trip, and the team includes two promising freshmen, high jumper Chris Pardee and hurdler Tony Lynch. Pardee, who has leaped 6 ft. 5 in. this year, will fill the one weak hole which has plagued the Crimson all year.