Stendhal To Fill Chair For Bible Studies

Professorship Last Held by A. D. Nock

Krister Stendhal, John H. Morison Professor of New Testament Studies, has been named Frothingham Professor of Biblical Studies, filling the chair which has been vacant since the death of Arthur Darby Nock earlier this year. Stendhal has been at Harvard and the Harvard Divinity School since his arrival in the United States in 1954.

Expert on Ancient Religions

The expert on ancient religions was born on Stockholm, Sweden, in 1921, and received his doctorate from Uppsala University in Uppsala, Sweden. While he was an instructor at Uppsala from 1951 until 1954, Stendhal took an active interest in the Young People's religious movement and served as chaplain of the University.

Arrived in 1954

Before coming to the United States, Stendhal studied at Cambridge and Paris, but soon accepted an appointment as Assistant Professor of New Testament Studies at the Divinity School in 1954. He held the appointment until 1958, when he was made a full professor.

Stendhal has taught three courses this year in the History and Philosophy of Religion, sponsored jointly by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and by the Divinity School. He taught two pro-seminars in New Testament Exegesis, as well as New Testament 123 on the Gospel of Matthew. Stendhal has also sponsored graduate reading and research in New Testament Studies.