Brazilian Student Delegation Visits University, Will Hear Top Speakers

A special series of lectures on the life and institutions of the United States begins today for 77 Brazilian students visiting Harvard.

Yesterday the students, who all have one year of graduate school to complete, were officially welcomed by Dean Ford. Francis Rogers, professor of Romance Languages, then described the organization of the University in a speech delivered in Portuguese.

Rogers was subjected to close questioning after his talk, but leaders of the program predict that Henry A. Kissenger '50, professor of Government may draw even sharper queries today.

The occasional Administration advisor and troubleshooter will give his idea of "How the U.S.A. conceives of its role in the world" in a talk this morning. As an overwhelming majority of the visiting Brazilians, according to one of the students, are socialists, Kissenger's views may be hostilely received.

Saville Davis, managing editor of the Christian Science Monitor, will describe the role of the press in the U.S. in the afternoon lecture. His ideas are also expected to come under close examination, as many of the students are editors of either school or political papers in Brazil.

Since only a few of the visitors can speak English fluently, the program has equipped Harvard Hall 1, the room where all the sessions will take place, with earphones to carry simultaneous translation of all comments.

During their stay at Harvard the students will have a chance to hear and meet some of the top men in the University. In addition to Kissenger and Rogers, Arthur E. Sutherland, professor of Law; John T. Dunlop, professor of Economics; Raymond Vernon, professor of International Trade.