A Space for the Center

The shouting has died down for the moment, and it seems that Boston will get its space center after all. Both Houses of Congress have in recent days passed space authorization bills which assign the National Aeronautics and Space Agency's Electronic Research Center to the Kennedys' home town.

Fortunately, there is a hedge: the Senate and House bills both provide for a reconsideration of the location of the center. Many members of Congress, notably Sen. Clifford Case (R.N.J.) are not at all certain that Boston is the best size for the project. They have a point. There are probably a score of places where such a laboratory could be built, and at least three cities-New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco-whose resources of scientific talent are as impressive as Boston's.

This is not to say that Boston is not the most logical choice. In all probability it is; but a great deal of fog, not all of it accidental, has surrounded the whole question of where the center should be built. In contrast to the relative lack of public debate on the issue, cloakroom activity has been, conspicuous; the Senate bill, for example, reached the floor thanks to a mysterious change of heart on the part of several members of the Senate Space Committee. There has also been talk that besides its abundance of scientists, Massachusetts enjoys, in this matter, the advantage of a Senate seat occupied by the President's brother.

The space center's location is an issue which Congress should investigate with more than its usual care before making a final decision. As of the moment, the Administration has simply not proved that Boston must be the place. For the sake of its own political reputation as well as the good of the space program, the Administration should be required to defend its choice.