Pope Paul IV Reconvenes Council, Urges Reform, Christian Unity

VATICAN CITY, Sept. 29--Pope Paul IV reopened the Vatican Ecumenical Council Sunday, giving it a strong mandate for further reform of the Roman Catholic Church and for taking steps towards Christian unity.

The pontiff also told the 2,500 assembled prelates to "build a bridge toward the contemporary world."

He listed the council aims as four: redefinition of the Catholic Church, reform of the Catholic Church, gathering of all Christians in unity, and closer contact with the contemporary world.

McNamara Sees Diem

SAIGON, Sept. 29--Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara conferred with President Ngo Dinh Diem for three hours Sunday, on the eve of the secretary's return home after a weeklong inspection tour of South Viet Nam.

A spokesman declined to give any details of the discussion.

McNamara is expected to leave for Washington Monday afternoon to report to President Kennedy on the progress of the war in South Viet Nam and the effect, if any, of the recent political-religious crisis in the country.

Goldwater Warns Kennedy

WASHINGTON, Sept. 29--Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.), said Sunday President Kennedy cannot win congressional approval of both his civil rights program and $11 billion tax cut this year and must decide which he wants.

Goldwater said it is "physically impossible" for Congress to approve both the administration's civil rights and tax cut bills in the time remaining in this session.