Anti-Zionist Leader Accuses Israel Of Creating Tension in Middle East

Israel must abandon its Jekyll and Hyde role in world politics, declared Dr. Elmer Berger, executive vice-president of the American Council for Judaism, a militant anti-zionist organization, last night.

Berger accused Israel of creating tension in the Middle East by trying to project a twofold image of herself to the world. Israel, he said, wants the world to think of her as it would any other nation. At the same time she is using the cause of zionism to win sympathy in the United States and other parts of the world by claiming to be the leader not only of the Jewish people in Israel but of the Jews everywhere in the world.

Berger claims that the Arab nations view this attempt "with at least suspicion and at most hostility." He believes that if Israel's position were clarified, the Arab nations might be willing to consider some resolution of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Policy Implications

With regard to United States policy Berger said. "The United States must face a choice. Israel must be Judged either as a Middle Eastern state or as a humanitarian venture, but not as both."

Berger, the author of several well known books, spoke under the sponsorship of the Harvard-Radcliffe International Relations Council.