Weaver's Bail Raised in Dunster; Legal Trouble Could Spoil Efforts

The Dunster House Senior Common Room has raised $1000 for the bond of Claude L. Weaver '65, a worker for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) being held in Jackson, Miss., on a strong-arm robbery charge. A legal technicality may, however, make the fund raising futile.

Lloyd L. Rudolph '48, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Dunster, said last night that the money was raised at a Wednesday lunchtime meeting after Common Room members learned of Weaver's situation.

Pickett Refuses Offer

An attempt yesterday to bail Weaver failed when Sheriff Fred N. Pickett refused to accept an offer of cash or a check in place of a bail bond. Michael D. Zurawin '65, a classmate of Weaver's in Dunster, contacted Pickett on his own initiative.

Sheriff Pickett could not be reached for comment last night, but Chief Deputy Howard Evans substantiated the report that only a security bond or a property bond would be considered lawful payment of ball.

A security bond is one underwritten by certified bonding company, while a property bond would in this case require ownership of land in Hinds County, Miss. SNCC has not been able to get any local bonding companies to write a bond for the three Negroes.

Fact-Finding Committee

A fact-finding committee headed by Richard D. Finn '65 has been set up by the Dunster House Committee to "try and establish a true picture of the case." So far, requests for information have been sent to Sheriff Pickett and Weaver's lawyer, and contact had been made with some influential Jackson citizens sympathetic to Weaver's cause.

Rudolph said that the money raised in Dunster would be sent by check to the Sheriff's office in Jackson, together with money from SNCC funds for bonds on two of Weaver's co-workers.