Ohiri, Meehan, Ogden Shine in K. of C. Meet

By Daniel J. Chaban

Aggrey Award was shut out in the hurdles, but Crimson trackmen still captured a first, a second and a third place in Saturday's Knights of Column bus track meet.

Chris Ohiri broadjumped 24 1/2" for the Crimson's only victory. Captain Ed Meehan took the lead with 2 laps to go in the 1000 yard run and bung on long enough to finish a very creditable third behind Canadians Bill Crohers and Fargas Laps. John Ogden's finishing sprint earned him into second place, close behind Brown's Dave Farley, in the intercollegate mule.

The Crimson's Sid Marland placed fifth behind Ohiri in the broad jump and Don Forte took second in the non-invitational pole vault. Freshman Tom Choquette captured fifth in the shot put.

Harvard's greatest disappointment came in the 45 yard hurdles where Aworl, last year's ICAA hurdles champion, failed to make the finals. After winning the fourth of five trial beats in a time beaten only by the eventual winner. Hayes Jones, Aworl was placed in the first semifinal along with three of the other four heat winners. He jumped the gun once and then got off to a bad start, just missing third place at the finish. Crimson hurdler Tony Lynch, needed in the second semifinal, went on to finish fourth in the final.

Ties World Record

Wendell Mottley, Yale's sprinter from Trinidad, turned in the best performance of the evening when he tied Earl Young's world indoor record of 55.5 seconds in the 500 yard run.

Track fans who had hoped for a 17-foot pale vault by John Pennel or a 4 minute mile by John O'Hara saw Pennel fall to clear 15 ft. 7 in. and O'Hara trail Larry Rawson through most of 3 sluggish quarters before sprinting away to win in the lackluster time of 4:06.3. John Velses took the pole vault with a jump of 16 ft. 1 in., topping his own Garden record.

The three mile run, which lost much of its glamour when Canadian distance ace Bruce Kidd scratched, provided the best race of the meet. Bob Schul, the favorite in Kidd's absence, led most of the way with Chris Williamson, a 19-year-old Canadian whom Kidd's coach touted as a strong threat, running at his heels. Williamson jumped Schul with about half a mile to go, but he never opened up much of a lead and Schul burst past him with two laps left to win going away.

Thomas Wins Jump

John Thomas displayed some of his old form as he won the high jump at the Garden record height of 7 ft. 2 in. After he cleared 7 ft. 2 in., Thomas made three attempts to better Russian Valerel Brumel's indoor record of 7 ft. 4 in., but he never came close.