Beatle Craze Seizes The Square

By Richard Andrews

The most salable commodity in Harvard Square during January is traditionally the Hymarx Outline Series, but a glance at the beaming face of any local record dealer shows that something is different this year.

The Beatles have arrived, and record stores in the Square report that sales of their first album are comparable to the heydays of Harry Belafonte and Joan Baes. Briggs and Briggs has sold 75 copies of "Meet the Beaties" in three days. The Coop's first shipment of forty albums went on sale Wednesday and were gone yesterday. Minute Man is sold out of "Meet the Beatles" and a second album, "Introducing the Beatles," is almost gone.

You haven't heard of the Beatles yet? Go back to Lamont, wonk.

For the uninitiated, the Beaties are four shaggy-haired youths from Liverpool, England, whose "pudding basin" haircuts and unique Liverpuglian sound are causing more of a stir in Britain than Mandy Rice-Davies. The group has touched off riots and mass hysteris throughout the Isles. Even the Queen Mother digs 'em.

Maybe you can blame their popularity in England and America on the decadence of modern youth. But why at Harvard?

No one to have an explanation. "They're ing the great s of the Buddy Holly ," one Quincy House

The social commentaries on contemporary society which their songs offer. A sample from "Boys":

My girl say

Sends the

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

My girl say

Sends the

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

My girl say

Sends the

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Sends the

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!