What's 'Older Than Harvard and Lots More Fun'?

By Joseph M. Russin

Harvard's widely acclaimed parietal scandal becoming a part of the rich folklore of American collegiate sex. Having made most of the major newspapers and slick magazines, the story recently drifted into the deft hands of the pulp magazine editors.

As is usual with such things, it is much better he second time around.

Inside News, a flamboyant tabloid with a prurient fixture of horror ("He Tickled Her to Death") and sex, told its readers that "The Undergrads Are Oversexed" at Harvard and other Ivy schools. The current number of Whisper, a slick covered bi-monthly what promises "The Stories Behind the Headlines," Harries a lengthy account of "Harvard's Special Night course--Sex-Sex-Sex."

Beauty and the Beasts

Both stories are attractively illustrated, although the News' pic of a girl draped only with two Harvard tennants beats Whisper's shot of a book- laden boy with his arm around a co-ed. The News has staged a come with two men (looking about 30 years old) removing the blouse of a very non-collegiate chick.

Following standard procedure in recent Harvard to some crummy motel or ruin our sacroiliacs in the sex disclosures, the stories establish their validity with quotes from Dean Monro's much-cited letter to the CRIMSON. You know the words by heart by now.

Vivid Images

Monro's famous "wild parties and sexual intercourse" sentence brought vivid images to the mind of the News writer. His playful lead ("Sizzling sex parties--where the girls climb the walls right along with the ivy--are the current rage at Harvard") is followed by images of "Cliffies going "bed to bed" in the dorms, an unborn child fathered by "the whole damned football team of an Eastern college," and other similar incidents.

As was the case in Round One last Fall, Radcliffe has been judged guilty by reason of proximity, although it seems agreed that resourceful Harvardians occasionally search other "Swank Eastern Girls Colleges" for their "bourbon and broads before badtime" activities.

The News attempts to present a balanced account. It quotes one "Harvard undergraduate" as noting that "sex is quite a few years older than Harvard and a hell of a lot more fun," and an irate parent who sent his son to school "to prepare for the bar, not the bar-room and ." For a feminine point of view they quote a girl who asks if "they want us ... to go back seats of parked cars?" rather than sleep over at the nation's oldest and richest University.

Whisper's Cabot O'Reilly thought a Monro sentence as "neatly turned as the rump and calves of any co-ed who has trooped into a student's room," but tried to put the story in proper perspective by noting that "horizontal gymnastics has long been a popular extracurricular activity and time-honored Harvard tradition."

Who Drinks Tea?

Having little more to go on than Monro's letter, a few CRIMSON clips, and Dr. Graham B. Blaine's celebrated virginity statistic, O'Reilly makes a brief reference to the rare "frisky Radcliffe co-ed who was invited to a tea party in the Harvard dormitories and actually was served a cup of tea," and then gives a lengthy history of the "Holiday Club."

The Club, according to O'Reilly, existed about a decade ago, and operated a swank and exotic brothel near the Square for the "scions of America's wealth-last and most socially prominent families."

Liberlisation of rules forced the club out of business and one of its girls, complains that "former customers () entertaining co-ed who are putting out for free". Unco with the morality problems that plague the deans, this hardened pregrumbled "I don't call that competition. To me, it's hitting below the belt."

Who Drinks Tea?