Barghoorn Says Zonians Are Not Understood Here

American residents of the Canal Zone fully understand the problems caused by their presence in Panama but are misunderstood by their fellow Americans in the United States, according to Elso S. Barghoorn, professor of Botany. Barghoorn, stranded in the Zone during the rioting earlier this month, also claimed the violence was caused by Castro-influenced agitators exploiting an emotional situation.

The Americans appreciated the situation, Barghoorn said, but were bitter and frustrated because they have been unable to make their point of view known. As a result, they are largely misunderstood in the U.S.

The professor explained that he was able to observe much of the rioting from his hotel, which overlooked Panama City. However, when aniper fire became too intense, he and the other occupants of the hotel were evacuated to Balboa.

Agitation on the part of Custro inspired elements was a significant factor in causing the riots, Barghoorn said, pointing out that the mobs which burned cars and buildings were egged on by sound trucks. Since the original student demonstration was orderly, he thought the violence which followed was in part instigated by Castroites, who took advantage of a long-standing emotional situation.