Baldwin Will Lecture Here For AAAAS

By Hendrik Hertzberg

James Baldwin, the novelist and essayist, will deliver a lecture on "The Cultural Implications of the Negro Revolt" in Sanders Theatre on Saturday, Jan. 18, it was announced yesterday.

Baldwin's speech will be sponsored by the Association of African and Afro-American Students at Harvard and Radcliffe, which received official University recognition Dec. 20.

O. Martin Anochie '64, president of the Association, said yesterday that admission to the lecture will be charged on a sliding scale. Members of civil rights organizations and residents of Roxbury and Dorchester will be charged 50 cents; others wil pay a $1 admission price. Association members will be admitted free.

Anochie also disclosed the final text of the Association's membership clause. As amended by the group's executive committee, the clause reads: "Membership in the Association shal be open to Harvard and Radcliffeff students and shall be by invitation."

It is considered unlikely that the new wording of the clause will have any practical effect on the Association's membership policy. Although references to specific racial and ethnic groups have been eliminated, the stipulation that membership "shall be by invitation" means that the present all-Negro policy will probably be continued.

The Baldwin speech will be the first event sponsored by the Association since official recognition gave it the right to use University buildings. Previously, the group used House facilities, which are at the disposal of the individual Masters.

Recognition came only after nine months of wrangling over the group's membership clause, which originally excluded all but "African and Afro-American students." Dean Watson and other members of the Faculty Committee on Student Activities had objected that the clause discriminated on the basis of race.

Because of this the Committee had rejected the Association's request for approval at their Nov. 19 meeting and then went into prolonged negotiations with the group.