Former Prof. Has No Plans To Quit Post

By Joseph M. Russin

Two prominent members of the Faculty last night labeled as "nonsense" reports that Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. 38 does not want to return to Harvard.

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Professor of Economics, and E. Harris, Lucius N. Littaner Professor of Political Economy, both told the CRIMSON that they were certain Schlesinger would return to Cambridge if offered a position.

Yesterday morning stories in the New York Times and the CRIMSON reported that Schlesinger had told friends in Washington that he would leave his post is Special Assistant to the President in about two months and probably would not go back to Harvard. Schlesinger was represented as being interested in an offer from Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study.

Galbraith, who said he thought Schlesinger has "every intention of coming back to Cambridge," said he did not know if a professorship had been offered by Harvard, but thought this was quite likely.

Contacted in Washington last night schlesinger said that he had "no immediate plans for leaving my present and that he really hadn't "had a coment to contemplate my future." He said recent stories hinting his imminent from the Administration weren't based on anything," and that President Johnson had asked him to stay on in Washington.

Schlesinger reportedly turned in his resignation to President Johnson the day after the assassination of President Kennedy and apparently had intended to leave. According to Harris, however, Johnson "induced him to stay," and Schlesinger last night said he would work for Johnson "at least through the transition period."

Eventually, Schlesinger said, he wants "to return to the writing to history," very possibly at Harvard. "Some of the most fruitful years of my life were spent at Harvard," he said, and he could see no major reason for not wanting to return.

Donald H. Fleming, professor of History and chairman of the department, said last night that "there is no gap in the department," but added "there is no American historian not now at Harvard we think so highly of as Schlesinger."

The members of the department, Fleming said, "were sorry to see him go" and continue to "hold him in high regard." He did not wish to discuss any possible correspondence between Schlesinger and the department on an appointment, however