Applications Increase 10 Per Cent: Sharp Rise Is First in Four Years

Applications to Harvard College have risen by ten per cent this year over the figure last year at this time, Humphrey Doermann '52, Director of Admissions, said yesterday. If the present trend continues, it will be the first significant increase in four years.

The number requesting scholarships is increasing even more, however, and is currently running 14 per cent ahead of last year. As of yesterday, 59 per cent of those seeking admission also applied for scholarships, compared to 56 per cent at this time last year.

More Application Expected

There are now 503 more applications than last year's figure of 4,422 and only 122 less than last year's final number of 5,047. Of the 4,925 who have applied so far this year, 2,686 have requested financial aid. Doermann anticipates that as many as 700 more applications may come in this year.

The increase was not unexpected by the admissions office. As early as 1962, Fred L. Glimp '50, Dean of Admissions, announced that he expected the number to go up 15 per cent by 1965. Doermann attributed the rise in the number of application primarily to the post-war "baby boom" and suggested that there are more requests for financial aid because of the tuition increase and the improved contacts with schools containing students from families with low incomes.

First Time since 1960

This year is the first time since 1950 that applications have risen sharply. For the past three years the total has horrered between 5,000 and 5,200 and the figure even declined slightly last year.

Doermann stated that most of the increase has occured since December 23. He speculated that many applications had been delayed because of the shock of the President's death and the late Thanksgiving this year.