Sextet Whips Eagles 4-2 in Quest For Top Spot in East

Sweitzer's Goal-Tending Crucial In Thwarting Third-Period Rally

By Joel Havenann

The ability to cash in on rebounds and the superb goal tending of Brandy Sweitzer led the Harvard hockey over Boston College last night at B.C.'s McHugh Forum. The CRIMSON barely held off a strong last period Eagle attack, after opening up a three goal lead in the second frame.

The victory establishes Harvard as one of the top two hockey powers in the East. Only undefeated Clarkson, which has defeated B.C. twice can be rated above the Crimson.

Harvard went most of last night's game with only three defensemen--Mike Patterson. John Daly, and Bob Clark. Bill Fryer switched from defense to center for Gene Kinazewich and like .

The first period began fast, rough, and loose. After helped kill a penalty to Kinasewich, the Eagles Dave Duffy went off for hooking Pete Sahlin at 10:31. During the men advantage. Kinazewich carried the puck along the B.C. blue line and lofted it at the Eagle net. Tom Apprille saved, but Barry Treadwell picked up the rebound and it past the fallen goalie for the Crimson's first score.

B.C. fans temporarily got noisy during the first few minutes of the second period. At just 9:28, Eagle John Cunniff intercepted Treadwell's clearing pass in front of Gweilzer and beat him cleanly to the score.

But Harvard roared back with three straight scores to take the game out of the Eagles' reach. At 3:17, the rookie the first of its two goals when John Stovens knocked Pete rebound into an open .

As both teams continued to maintain a to clear the pack from in front of Apprille cost them again Patterson knocked in his own rebound at 7:08, after receiving a drop pass from Bill Lamarche.

B.C. controlled the puck during most of the rest of the period, forcing Sweitzer to make at least six saves. Harvard scored its last goal when Sahlin whipped a drop pass from Burnes by Apprille.

The Crimson resorted to defensive hockey during the final 20 minutes, and just barely made it work. The saves play--Sweitzer made 13 while Apprille made only three. scored the second B.C. goal while Swelizer was down on the ice, but enough to keep Harvard from most important win of the year.