Booters Topple Tufts, 3-0; Chiappa Kicks Two Goals

By Richard Andrews

The Crimson soccer team opened its season in extremely encouraging fashion yesterday, demolishing Tufts 3 to 0 the Business School Field.

Since the team had suffered heavy graduation losses last June, 1964 had looked like a "building year" for the soccer squad. But after three-quarters of yesterday's contest the Crimson couldn't possibly have been more "built," as far as Tufts was concerned.

First Half Scoreless

Harvard dominated the game completely with excellent defense and persistent ball control. For more than half the battle, the Crimson seemed to be sorely missing the scoring punch which graduated superstar Chris Ohiri had provided for three seasons, but a pair of goals in the third quarter by veteran center torward Keith Chiappi and a last-period tally by sophomore Jim Saltonstall gave Harvard all the scoring it needed.

After the game Coach Bruce Munro, who had been worried for a month about punch, said he was "very satisfied" with the performance. Munro was particularly pleased with the Crimson's beautiful short passing, which eventually wore down the tenacious Jumbos.

Harvard controlled the ball constantly during the first half, but had very few genuine scoring opportunities. The most frustrating moment of the half came late in the second quarter, when sophomore Charlie Njoku booted a high shot toward the net. Tufts goalie Dick Jaffe leaped and barley deflected the kick. The ball plopped in front of the goal, but the Crimson team was caught collectively flatfooted, and a Tufts defensemen cleared the ball.

Passing Sets Up Scores

In the second half, however, the Harvard eleven employed some brilliant, pinpoint passing to score its three goals. At 11:55 of the third period Chiappa blasted a pass from Fred Akuffo into the net. The Crimson's second tally at 15:13 was an aesthetic delight. Akin Adewole, at outside right about 40 feet from the goal, spotted Sam Thompson alone on the left side, and kicked a high shot toward him. Thompson headed the ball right at the feet of Chiappi, who scorched a short one past the bewildered Tufts goaltender.

At 5:28 of the last period Andy Kydes booted a high center pass to Saltonstall, who made a beautiful fake to elude a defenseman and drilled the ball into the nets.