Cards Win World Series; Gibson Whips Yanks, 7-5

The St. Louis Cardinals won their first world championship in 13 years yesterday, is Bob Gibson beat the New York Yankees in the decisive seventh game of the World Series, 7-5.

Gibson gave up three late-inning home runs but hung on TO finish the game. He struck out nine batters, giving him 31 for the series, a record.

The Cards broke a 0-0 tie with three runs off rookie Mel Stottlemyre in the fourth. Ken Boyer opened with a single and Dick Groat walked. Tim McCarver grounded to Joe Pepitone, who forced Groat at second, but Phil Lins's return throw was wild and Boyer scored.

Mike Shannon singled and Shannon and McCarver worked a double steal, McCarver scoring. Del Maxvill then singled in Shannon.

Lou Brock greeted reliever Al Downing with a homer in the next inning. Bill White doubled, Boyer singled, and a sacrifice fly and an infield out scored them.

Mantle Connects

The Yankees took three runs off the St. Louis lead when Mickey Mantle homered with two on in the sixth. But an inning later, Boyer's solo homer made it 7-3.

The Yanks almost pulled off a last-minute rally in the ninth. After striking out Tom Tresh, Gibson gave up a long homer to Clete Boyer. Pinch hitter John Blanchard fanned, but Linx homered to make it 7-5. But while two relief pitchers warmed up furiously, Gibson got Bobby Richardson to pop up and end the series.