Getting Into Lamont

The Mail:

To the Editors of the Harvard CRIMSON:

In the middle of the journey of our college life, I came to myself within the middle of a vast vault cemented on all sides. The easy way was out through the glass doors, but the Vision of my Section Man's distressed Face led me on out of the depths to attempt that serious and arduous journey by which I might reach the Classroom and Truth. With downcast eyes and a penitent heart at trespassing the forbidden confines of Lamont, only the reassuring presence of my Classmate beside me drew me on.

My sin was that I was born a female, so the way to the Classroom, so easy for others, was denied me. To be one of those deserving ones, who are easily borne aloft to the Light, is not my destiny. I must work out my burden. My way must be the hard way, and so I proceeded to climb the stairs with my beloved Classmate and guide leading me.

At the first plateau I saw before me a wondrous space and some of those marvelous people at whom I dared not look too long for fear their Hollness should wither me. At the second plateau I sow glass doors right and left, and the beautiful holy music of Silence so overwhelmed me by its delight that I swooned. With the return of my mind that was shut off, I found myself at the third plateau. My Classmate, who was accompanying me and encouraging me with every footstep, whispered to me that First Class Citizens came in at this level to proceed to the Vision of the Section Man. How joyous for these people. How privileged they are to be met by the Elevator and borne up by its Pulley, like so many little birds met by the May breeze, herald of the dawn, and carried aloft amidst the odour of ambrosia.

At the fourth plateau I noticed that my Classmate, who was behind me, was subdued, whether by the marvels of each succeeding plateau and the vision of so many Superior People or by the arduousness of our journey from the depths--I don't know, for she hardly spoke at all. Suddenly, as I neared the fifth plateau, she was no longer by my side, and I had only the Vision and Promise of Learning to draw me on.

My journey had begun on the hour when the sun was not yet overhead, and by half-hour of the same day, I finally reached the sixth and final plateau. I cannot express the condition I was in: I had been transformed by the journey, cleansed and purified by the perspiration that had swept over me. With pounding heart and light, hurried breaths, I opened the door and gazed upon the smiling Assemblage, then collapsed with ecstacy at attaining the Vision of my Section Man; and saw far below me Lowell Lec, infinitely plateau I saw glass doors right and left, must regretfully descend in another half-hour with a renewed Energy and transformed Soul.  Shirley Tung '66