Russian Experts Analyze K's Fall

By Mark C. Kunen

Five experts on Russian affairs discussed the fall of Nikita Khrushchev at Boylston Hall yesterday, and reached a general agreement that the change in Soviet leadership bodes no immediate ill for U.S.-Russian relations.

Merle Fainsod, director of the Russian Research Center, which sponsored the program, stated that the new Russian heads of state will follow an "all things to all men" policy during its transitional period. As evidence he noted recent friendly Soviet overtures to the West, China, and India. Fainsod added, however, that eventually must come "the time of hard choices" which may result in problems for the West.

According to William Griffith a member of M.I.T.'s International Research Institute, there was not involved in the coup any pro-Chinese element which would indicate a build-up of Soviet militancy towards the West. He explained that many Russian objected to Khrushchev's tactics in meeting the Chinese challenge, but not to his basic policy. Griffith agreed with Fainsod that a "general complex of overextension in Khrushchev's policies" was responsible for the premier's overthrow.

In total accord with the Soviet press denouncement of Khrushchev as "hairbrained," Adam B. Ulam, professor of Government, surmised that the Communist Central Committee acted to block another "mad improvisation" which Khrushchev was planning for the near future. Otherwise, Ulam said, the Soviets would have held their tempers a few more years until Khrushchev was forced by age to step down.

Abram Bergson, professor of Economics, asserted that Nikita was not so "hairbrained" as all that. He noted the five good years the Russian economy enjoyed at the height of Khrushchev's power, but admitted that recently the Soviet Union has been economically stagnant.

Richard E. Pipes, assistant director of the Russian Research Center, concluded the program by suggesting that the Soviets "develop a civilized way of transferring power in government." Pipes did not regret the passing of that "vile character," Khrushchev, but sympathized with the Russian people who must constantly put up with "usurpers..., criminals, traitors and ... adventurers."