Coop Election May Be Crowded

The unprecedented nomination of an opposition slate of directors for the Harvard Coop has created the possibility of a massive turn-out of voting members at the annual membership meeting next week.

"The meeting is announced for Harvard Hall 1, but in the event the number attending exceeds its capacity, we plan to move the meeting to a larger building," John G. Morrill, general manager of the Coop, said yesterday.

The Coop's by-laws require that 10 per cent of the card-carrying students and officers of the University be present before an election can be held. This number would be somewhere in excess of the 200 who could fit into Harvard Hall 1.

If a quorum does not turn up, the Coop's 10 stockholders will elect the directors.

There appears to be no provision for voting by proxy, according to the Coop's General Counsel, Austin W. Scott, Dane Professor of Law Emeritus.

Although the entire 19-man Board of Directors is up for reelection this year, the nominating papers filed by Sheldon Dietz '41 named candidates for only four out of the six seats open to officers or alumni of Harvard and for both seats open to officers and alumni of M.I.T. There have been no Dietz nominations for any of the student positions.

Dietz and the Coop waged a protracted struggle last year over the aesthetics of the plan for the Coop's new four-story textbook annex. Dietz lost, but apparently is still punching.