Students Plan Boston Rally Against BMG

Thousands of college students and Bostonians are expected to join a mass rally against Sen. Barry Goldwater on the Boston Common Friday.

Students from Harvard, Tufts, Brandeis, and other campuses will meet at M.I.T. at 3 p.m., an hour before the rally is scheduled to begin, and march across Harvard Bridge to the Common.

Another line of march will start at Kenmore Square, near Boston University, and a third group will leave from Dudley Street Station in Roxbury.

Howe To Speak

Mark De Wolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, will speak at the rally in the Common, along with the Rev. James P. Broedon, co-chairman of the Massachusetts Freedom Movement.

Also speaking are Joseph Salorno, international vice-president of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, and Richard Cotton '65, president of the CRIMSON.

The march has two purposes, according to William W. Hodes, '66, one of the co-chairmen of the March Committee. First, since Boston will probably vote for Johnson, many people may not bother to go to the polls, and the March Committee will urge people to vote "not only to beat Goldwater, but to beat him so badly that no party will ever dare nominate another man like him."

Second, the demonstration will give a voice to college students who are too young to vote.

12 Colleges Join

Students are organizing for the march at Jackson, Simmons, Brandeis, Wellesley, Wheelock, Emerson, Harvard, Radcliffe, Tufts, B.U., Emmanuel, and M.I.T. At Brandeis the administration is chartering buses to carry students to the march.

The entire program is being sponsored by the Committee for the March Against Goldwater, whose co-chairman are William W. Hodes '66 and Peter Orris '67.

Over 20 other groups are sponsoring the march, including the Massachusotts Freedom Movement, Citizens for Johnson and Humphrey, Boston CORE, Young Democrats from M.I.T., Tufts, and Harvard, three college chapters of Students for a Democratic Society, and Scientists and Engineers for Johnson at Harvard and M.I.T.