Yale, Cornell Play Today; Princeton Will Meet Penn

Other Ivy Games

The two teams who were supposed to win the Ivy League title, Yale and Princeton, are up against two of the league's lesser lights today.

Yale (1-0-1), which hasn't shown its reputedly awesome power since the league season began goes against Cornell (1-1) at Ithaca. This should turn into a battle of two outstanding lines; if Chuck Mercein and his teammates can run against Cornell, they can run against anybody.

They've had quite a bit of success so far. Yale ranks fifth in the country in total offense with 376 yards per game, and fourth in rushing offense. The Elis are a six-point favorite.

Princeton (2-0) risks its unbeaten record against Penn (1-0-1), but shouldn't have too much difficulty staying on top. The Quakers haven't scored in their two Ivy games so far, and have only 20 points on the season.

The Tigers, on the other hand, boast a 4-0 record overall, including an astonishing 37-7 win over Dartmouth. They are better in the line and infinitely better in the backfield, where Cosmo Iacavazzi heads a splendid core of running backs. If Princeton gets hot, the score might reach astronomical levels.

Columbia (0-2-1) and Brown (1-2) will be playing outside the league today. The Lions will become the third Ivy team to face Rutgers, a team that previously lost to Princeton and beat Penn.

Rutgers has displayed a terrifying defense so far, and a line of the sort that could give Archie Roberts serious headaches before the end of the game.

But Archie is long overdue; for the past three weeks he has been less than superhuman, and this is below his standards. Rutgers will have problems containing him.

Brown meets Rhode Island in Providence in the other non-league contest. The Bruins have had close games two weeks in a row, leading Dartmouth and Yale at the half and losing both games.

Rhode Island is the fourth Yankee Conference team to meet an Ivy League Club, and the other three came up losrs, New Hampshire to Dartmouth, Massachusetts to Harvard, and Conneticut to Yale. And Rhode Island's club isn't a powerhouse in its own league; they lost to UMass last week.