College Votes House Dining For 'Cliffies

HCUA to Request 'Charge-It' Dining

Harvard students voted overwhelmingly in favor of Radcliffe inter house on date nights in a poll conducted last Thursday by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs (HCUA). The college-wide tally was 1133 (37 per cent) in favor; 165 (13 per cent) against.

The HCUA Executive Committee report which judges that inter house is feasible and should be "implemented for a trial period" will be submitted to the HCUA membership tonight for endorsement.

The forward to the committee's report asserted that "the request of Harvard students being presented to the Committee on Houses may be compared to King Priam's humble request of Achilles for the body of his slain son Hector."

The Committee on Houses turned down a similar humble HCUA request last spring.

At that time one of the objections of the Committee was that inter house would result in longer dinner lines on date nights.

The report admitted that this was a valid point, but explained that such an admission was made on the ballots distributed to Harvard students. "The poll confirms our belief that the overwhelming majority of Harvard supports this plan," the report concluded.

The document reaffirmed the HCUA's stand last spring that this inter house proposal does not involve educational policy.