Professors' Blast BMG's 'Myopic' Concept of Reds

One hundred forty specialists on Communism and the Soviet Union, including five Faculty members here, yesterday described Senator Goldwater's foreign-policy recommendations as "dangerously misleading, confused, and contradictory" and urged "his decisive defeat" in the election.

The scholars, in an advertisement appearing in the New York Times, charged that Goldwater "has demonstrated little understanding of Communism. He ignores both the complexities involved in comprehending the Communist challenge and the experience gained in meeting it," they said.

A Disastrous Course

"The course he appears to advocate would increase the risk of thermonuclear disaster. It would give credibility and comfort to the most extreme and most dangerous elements in Communist movements around the globe. It would alienate from our side many sincere and devoted non-Communists. And, misreading the nature of the Sino-Soviet rift, it would spell an end to the hopeful but precarious growth of diversity in the Soviet bloc," the advertisement charged.

Among the signatories were Abram Bergson, Director of the Russian Research Center; Melvin Croan '53, assistant professor of Government; Merle E. Fainsod, Carl H. Pforsheimer, University Professor; Richard E. Pipes, professor of History; and Benjamin I. Schwartz '38, professor of History and Government.