Rally Hears Professors, HHH's Voice

By Hendrik Hertzberg

A genial, scrubbed crowd of 350 heard four professors' twit Senator Barry Goldwater and praise President Johnson in Sanders Theatre Saturday night.

Senator Hubert Humphrey, the Democratic candidate for Vice-President, addressed the rally by telephone from his campaign plane somewhere in the American sky.

The Senator's disembodied voice said "hello," paused, said "hello" again, and then delivered a standard five-minute whistle stop speech.

Johnson A Genius

Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, told the crowd that "the most important issue before us is Congressional government: the need to make Congress operate to meet the needs and fulfill the hopes of the American people."

President Johnson should be elected, How continued, because of "the amazing genius that this candidate for President has for managing Congress."

Howe noted that the 1876 platform of the Prohibitionist party supported the use of the Bible in schools and called for governmental "protection of purity," while the 1964 Republican platform advocates a school prayer amendment to the Constitution and calls for legislation to bar obscenity from the mails.

"The Republicans are keeping pace with the Prohibitionists," How concluded.

Lights Out in White House

Robert K. Keeton, professor of Law, attacked the GOP's policies as "a succession of pat remedies abandoned day by day." "They want to convert the White House into a gigantic darkroom for developing negatives," he said.

John Clark Sheean, professor of Chemistry at M.I.T. and the man who first synthesized penicillin, said scientists oppose Goldwater because he "sees the solutions to the world's problems in terms of the application of force."

In his talk; Senator Humphrey said that a Democratic vote would be a vote for "reason, experience, performance and responsibility."

Closing the rally, which was sponsored by the Law-Graduate Young Democrats, Louis Loss, William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law, observed that "meetings of this sort are in many ways an exercise in futility because the unconvinced don't come. But the ritual is good for our souls, and at least we know we have participated in the preservation of a grand old American folkway."