Epps Claims University Considers Aid Request

Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of the College, charged yesterday that the University is "seriously considering" participation in the work-study program of the "War-on-Poverty" Act, despite a disclaimer requirement.

It is doing so, Epps said, because of a statement by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare that the disclaimer affidavit would be required only of individuals receiving payments, not of "legal entities" like educational institutions or corporations.

Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President for Civic and Governmental Affairs, indicated Thursday that Harvard would probably not apply for participation unless the disclaimer was repealed.

In a memorandum sent to President Pusey, Dean Ford, and Dean Monro, Epps has opposed University participation in the project.

He has based his objection on his assertion that an educational institution is not an "isolated entity," but serves a definite function to the rest of society. "It is the University's duty to establish and maintain the greatest degree of individual liberty possible," he said.

"Special Privilege"

Epps said he feels that by applying for the work-study project now, the University would be seeking a "special privilege" for itself as an educational institution, and "leaving all the bloody poor other individual citizens to fend for themselves."

In addition, Epps pointed out, the Federal regulations governing the act and defining its contractual obligations are still unclear.