1965 Yearbook Will Emphasize Harvard's Best

The Harvard Yearbook has announced it will metamorphose this year from "just an encyclopedia" to "a meaningful summary of what the year has been like."

As a result of extensive criticism among its staff and the entire Harvard community, the Yearbook has decided to scrap its traditional brief review of each undergraduate activity, sport, and organization in favor of a sharp focus on outstanding aspects of the various fields, according to Benning M. Grice, Jr. '65, managing editor.

Combined Publication

This year's publication, combined with the Radcliffe Yearbook for the first time, will "treat in depth the things most worth remembering about the year." The accent will be on "long photo essays summarizing the 'Harvard experience'," Grice said.

The old format produced "the same thing every year, with just the names changed," Grice complained, and few people found it worth reading. Feature articles this year will point to specific highlights in musical, dramatic, political, or athletic areas, for example.

Instead of discussing the "in-group politics" of publications, the Yearbook is considering publication of some of the best writing from each.

By broadening its appeal through better writing and an improved format, the Yearbook hopes to be able to attract students to its now-dormant editorial board. Grice explained that it has been difficult to interest people in joining a publication only "to write resumes."