Walt Hewlett Runs Second in IC4A Meet; Dave Allen Finishes Twelfth, Team Sixth

Freshman Squad Finishes Fourth

Walt Hewlett led the field up and down hills for the first 4.5 miles, but in the level stretch run Georgetown's Joe Lynch out kicked the Crimson junior to win yesterday's IC4A cross-country meet in New York City in record time.

Georgetown won the team title also with a score of 52 points. Harvard captured sixth place with a 178 total, only one more than fifth place Navy. It was the highest finish for a Crimson squad in the 13 years that Bill McCurdy has held the head coaching reins.

And Hewlett's performance, although it ended his winning streak at nine, was the best showing by a Harvard man in the IC4A's since James L. Reid captured first place way back in 1928.

Walt took control of the race from the very beginning. Awestruck by a New York Times report that Hewlett had run the first mile in last week's Heptagonals in 4:18, the other runners let him set the early pace. At the mile post, Hewlett was 20 yards in front of the pack, and he gained even more during the hilly second mile on everyone except Lynch.

Lynch Closes Gap

Over the flat third mile Lynch closed the gap to ten yards, and when the two started to climb the cliff-like "cemetery hill," the two were virtually even.

It was here that Walt had to pull away, but over the half-mile grind into the upper atmosphere he was able to gain only a five-yard advantage. Lynch closed that quickly in the level dash to the finish, pulling ahead with about 600 yards to go and finishing 35 yards and five seconds ahead of Walt in 24:41.8.

It was the fastest time ever run by a collegian on the Van Cortlandt Park course.

"I'm satisfied," Walt said afterwards. "Of course I wish I'd won, but I don't feel I made any mistakes. I think I ran the proper race.

"You know, I haven't had to kick in any of my other races this fall, so I didn't have any confidence in my speed. You see, I hadn't really had any reason so far to develop confidence in my speed, so in that sense you might say I wasn't completely ready today."

Dave Allen was the second Ivy League runner to cross the line, finishing in 12th place. The other scorers for the Crimson were Bill Crain, 34th, Jim Smith, 63rd, and Jon Chaffe, 80th.

Notre Dame Finishes 2nd

Behind Georgetown's winning total of 52 were defending champion Notre Dame, 69, Villanova, 128, Michigan State, 149, and Navy and Harvard.

In the freshman meet the Yardling runners took fourth place behind Villanova, Maryland, and Army. Captain Jim Baker captured tenth place and teammate Bob Stempson took 11th.

Hewlett, Allen and possibly others will compete in next Monday's NCAA meet in East Lansing, Mich. Walt finished 12th last year.