Booters, Runners Elect Captains; Kerstetter, Allen to Lead Squads

Pair Succeeds Cobern, Crain

Soccer halfback William E. Kerstetter Jr. '66 and cross-country runner David W. Allen '66 have been elected captains of their respective teams for 1965.

Kerstetter, of Dunster House and Indianola, Ia., succeeds Lawrence S. Coburn; Allen, of Adams House and Omaha, Neb., inherits his position from William C. Crain.

Kerstetter, 5 ft., 10 in. and 162 lbs., played right halfback most of his sophomore year, but saw action at center half this season. His quick, accurate passes consistently set up the Crimson forwards for shots at the opposition's goal and made him a team leader in assists.

The squad's top two scorers, sophomores Jim Saltonstall and Charlie Njoku, will be among those joining Kerstetter next fall in an attempt to improve on this year's 6-2-2 record.

The new cross-country captain, Allen, is a 5 ft., 9 in. 140-pounder. Allen was not considered among the Crimson's top three prospects in pre-season training camp, but he worked hard and by the third meet of the season managed to fight his way up to the number two spot on the team.

Allen finished second in the Big Three meet and in the Heptagonals, behind Walt Hewlett both times. He placed 12th in the IC4A championships a week ago.

Allen is a consistent performer who like teammate Hewlett, seems to thrive on long distances. He does not possess a notable finishing kick, but manages to place himself near the front of the pack early in the race.

During track season, Allen runs the mile, two-mile, and the two-mile relay.

Nucleus of Four

Among those teaming with Allen next fall will be Hewlett, the Heptagonal champion and runner-up in the IC4A's, sophomore Jim Smith, who improved considerably towards the end of the season, and junior Roger Smith, a consistent scorer for the Crimson.

With these four as a nucleus, the 1965 cross-country squad will try to improve on the accomplishments of this year's team, which include a 7-2 dual meet record, the Ivy League title, second place in the Heptagonals, fifth place in the IC4A, and 14th place in the NCAA championships two days ago.