Glueck Tables to Predict NYC Crime

New York City may soon be able to deter potential delinquents before they commit their first crimes, aided by a table developed by Sheldon Glueck, Roscoe Pound Professor of Law, Emeritus, and his wife, Mrs. Eleanor Glueck.

The Glueck table predicts the possibility of a child's becoming a delinquent. This prediction is based on the following factors:

* Supervision by the mother: does she know where the child is; does she know his activities and close friends; does she keep a close watch over him?

* Discipline by the mother: does she set limits for the child's behavior; is her punishment kindly or cruel; does the child understand and accept it?

* Cohesiveness of the family: do the parents and children enjoy working and playing together?

The Youth Board of New York City demonstrated the accuracy of the table in a 10-year study financed largely by the Ford Foundation.

The Youth Board hopes to give tests early next year to 300 or 350 children aged 7 to 9, from which they will predict possible future delinquents.

Funds are now being sought to make practical use of the Glueck Prediction Table. Arthur J. Rogers, executive director of the Youth Board, said the program would be a "half-million dollar proposition."