Woodworth to Be Master of Adams

DURING BROWER'S SABBATICAL

By John D. Gerhart

G. Wallace Woodworth '24, James Edward Ditson Professor of Music, will serve as Acting Master of Adams House next year while Master Reuben A. Brower is away on sabbatical.

Master Brower made the announcement last night at the Adams House Christmas party. Woodworth, a Fellow of Adams House, will not be a newcomer to the location. He came to Adams under the House's second master, David Little, in the early 1930's and admits to being "almost the oldest member of the House around." He plans to continue regular teaching duties as lecturer in his immensely popular history of music course, Music 1.

Master Brower and Mrs. Brower plan to leave the U.S. in mid-summer next year and hope to spend most of their time in London, Italy, and Greece. Brower will be preparing a book on William Shakespeare and the Graeco-Roman heroic tradition, to be published by the Oxford University Press.

The Browers will spend most of their time in London, going to Italy in the late fall to work at I Tatti, Harvard's Institute of Renaissance Studies near Florence.

Brower has been Master of Adams since July of 1954. At present, he is teaching a course on Shakespeare and the Heroic Tradition (English 223) which deals mainly with Shakespeare's Roman plays and in which Brower says he has worked out various ideas for the book. He is also teaching Humanities 6 and in the Spring will offer English 162, readings in English literature since 1890.

Award To Jameson

Also during the Christmas party, Master Brower presented Andrew G. Jameson, Allston Burr Senior Tutor of the House, with the Michael Marshall Cup, an annual award given to the member of the House who has done the most for international good will. Referring to Jameson, who returned this fall from a year in Africa, Brower said he was giving it to him because he had "seen more of Africa than Livingstone."