Lamb Demands U.S. Get Out of S. Vietnam

The United States cannot win the war in Vietnam and should end it immediately by withdrawing its troops, Helen B. Lamb, author of Economic Development of India, told the Socialist Club last night.

"We came in on the losing side; we remain on the losing side; yet we refuse to let South Vietnam lose, settle down, and have peace," she said.

Two agents from the Treasury Dept. attended the meeting, at which a film prepared by the Viet Cong was shown. The agents refused to comment on their purpose, but afterwards questioned Albert L. Maher '63-2 about the origins of the film. Maher, who chaired the meeting, refused to answer. He later charged that they were trying to "intimidate" him but said he expected no further repercussions from the film.

Maher is also head of the May Second Committee, which organized last night's meeting but did not sponsor it officially because the organization has not obtained University recognition.

Miss Lamb said the government of South Vietnam has no support among most of the people, who "don't care one hoot about 'isms', one way or the other." The people only want to live in peace, she said, and the South Vietnamese government "has interfered far more with the daily lives of the peasants than the regime in the north."

She charged the U.S. with needless bloodshed, quoting a State Dept. officer as saying, "Villages of 3,000 or more are bombed if they are thought to contain as few as five Viet Cong."