Late Scoring Explosion Beats Hockey Team, 6-2

By Joel Havemann

Harvard scored in its 103rd straight hockey game last night, tying a club record. But otherwise a strong and speedy Northeastern squad ruled Watson Rink, and skated off with a 6-2 victory over the small and inexperienced Crimson.

Harvard's decisive loss to a formerly mediocre team makes it clear that while many Eastern hockey squads have improved radically this year, the Crimson lost most of its strength in last June's graduation. Until the present varsity gains experience, Harvard is in trouble.

Northeastern had little difficulty last night stealing the puck in the Crimson zone, but missed numerous scoring opportunities by failing to pass to forwards which the Harvard defense left uncovered. The Husky defense meanwhile nipped most Harvard rushes in the bud by poking the puck away at the Crimson blue line.

When the Crimson offense failed to produce a good shot on goal until midway through the first period, Captain John Daly moved up to left wing to provide power up front. The Huskies' Larry Bone replied to this strategem by stealing the puck at the Crimson blue line and scoring the first goal of the night at 13:01.

Northeastern made it 2-0 at 15:21 of the second period, with Harvard's Bob Clark sitting out a dubious delay-of-the-game penalty. Paul Bloh picked up a loose puck in front of the Crimson net, and had all the time in the world to slide it past goalie Wade Welch.

Coach Weiland decided it was time to move Daly back to defense, and the son's first goal. Sophomore Ed Zellner move immediately paid off in the Crimstole the puck at the Husky blue line, out-maneuvered a defenseman, and scored from a wide angle.

In the third period, Harvard proved to everyone's satisfaction that failing to clear the puck and leaving Husky forwards loose in front of its net would result in Northeastern goals. Bloh, Bill Seabury, and Jim Leu scored fairly routinely, but Joe MacGillivray's marker was an eye-opener. In the face of a Husky rush, Welch skated 25 feet in front of his goal to bat aside MacGillivray's length-of-the-rink pass, but missed. The puck slid agonizingly into the open net behind him.

Jorge Gonzales scored the lone Crimson goal of the period by redirecting Chip Scammon's blue line shot into the Husky net. Pete Sahlin also assisted in his futile gesture.