Committee Probably Will Okay Interhouse

The Committee on Houses will probably vote Wednesday to allow interhouse dining between Harvard and Radcliffe on a trial basis, a high-placed source in the administration said last night.

The masters reportedly reached an agreement on the proposal at an informal meeting Wednesday after they head Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for resources and planning, report that a trial period of interhouse dining, would be administratively feasible.

"Until recently," the source said, "we didn't know whether the proposition was workable or not, but now it has been found that administrative problems do not prohibit our trying it."

The HCUA placed a request for interterhouse dining before the committee in October after a poll revealed that 87 per cent of the students in the college favor interhouse. It calls for Radcliffe and Harvard students to be allowed to eat in each other's dining halls free on two date nights each week.

A month ago, the committee, which includes nine masters and four deans tabled the proposal indefinitely to allow Trottenberg time to make his study of the proposal's feasibility.

Some of the masters are known to be afraid that the influx of large numbers of girls into the dining rooms will threaten the intellectual life of the houses.

Opponents of the plan also claim that tree interhouse will slow food lines on date nights and will give Cliffies a privileged position in the Harvard dining halls.

A poll of the masters conducted in November revealed that only one of them was in favor of the proposal. Several others are believed to have changed their minds, however, as a result of Trottenberg's report.