Boston Groups Plan School Boycott Despite Attorney General's Warning

By Peter Cummings

Civil rights organizations are going ahead with their plans for a Boston school boycott on Feb. 26, despite Attorney General Brooke's recent assertion that keeping children out of school is illegal. The Mass Stay-Out for Freedom Committee is urging Negroes in Roxbury and Dorchester to send their children to special Freedom Schools on the day of the boycott.

College student groups at Harvard, Brandeis, M.I.T., Tufts, B.U., and Simmons will be formed to aid the stay-out. The Boston Action Group, the Northern Student Movement, and St. Ann's Church are sending college students from door to door in the Negro neighborhoods to win mass support for the boycott.

Harvard Students Meet

Members of several Harvard student organizations met yesterday to plan action on the stay-out. Included in the group were students associated with the Civil Rights Coordinating Committee, the Association of Africa and Afro-American Students, the Young Democrats, CORE, Tocsin and SNCC.

On the day of the boycott, over 75 Freedom Schools in churches and community centers will be opened to teach classes to those children who stay out of the public schools. In over 200 classes a formal curriculum of Negro history and civil rights will be taught. When the Freedom classes end, students, teachers and parents will probably march to a demonstration near the State House.

A large college rally for the stay-out is being planned for Feb. 20 at Boston University's Hayden Hall. The night before the boycott, Feb. 25, Dick Gregory will lead a meeting at Donnelly Memorial Hall in Boston. Gregory will tour the Freedom Schools the next day.