Crimson Track Team Captures Lead in GBI

Squad Takes Three First Places At Annual Meet of Local Teams

By Robert J. Samuelson

The track jumped into a commanding 15-point lead over host Northeastern University in the first day of the Greater Boston Invitational meet. The Crimson cindermen took three of five first places in the competition and set one meet record in the process.

Last night's action included all the field events and trials for the 600 and 1000-yard ruffs. Finish in the eight running events will be held today.

The Crimson garnered 20 1/2 of the 36 points in two events--the pole visit and high jump. Both Don Forte and Jay Mahaney smashed the old visit record of 12 ft. 6 in. by six inches: Mahaney decided to call it a night after the record-breaking performance. Forte three at 12 ft., 3 1/2 inc.

In the high jump, the team got its only sweep of the night with Jack Spitaberg winning at 6 ft, 3 ft; Ohrlz padre, who has awarded 9 ft. 3 in., scorched after easily jumping 6 ft, 2 ft. By this time it had become apparent that the Crimson would take the top three places.

The evenings surprise, however, was the third place winner, Balforley Lawson. Twice during the evening, first at 6 ft. and then at 6 ft., 2 in., he cleared the bar with crucial jumps on his third and last attempt. He finally fouled out at 6 ft., 3 in.

Chria Ohiri took an easy first in the broad jump with a leap of 22 ft., 11 1/4 in., enough to set a new mark for the Northeastern cage. Charles Ward tied for fifth with 20 ft., 3 3/4 in.

All was not roses for the Crimson last night, however. The team failed to place in the 35-lb, weight and could only manage one place in the shot put.

The absence of Art Croasdale in the 35-lb, weight undoubtedly hurt. The Crimson ace, who is hampered by a recent shoulder injury, did, however, take a second in the shot, throwing 65 ft., 1 3/4 in. The winner, Northeastern's Carl Wailin, set a new meet record of 57 ft., 10 1/2 in.

In the trials for the 600 and 1000-yard runs, only two Crimson runners made it to the finals: Dick Briggs squeezed in the 600 tying for last with a 1: 16.9; captain Ed Meehan jaunted to a place in the 1000.

With 20 points, the only team that can conceivably touch the Crimson is Northeastern. Following the Huskies are B.C. at 12, M.I.T. at 9 1/2, and B.U. at 4, Brandeis and Tufts failed to score.

The meet continues today at Northeastern with trials and semi-finals in the 50-yard dash set for 2 p.m.