Five Members of Faculty Awarded Fellowships to Study, Travel Abroad

Five Harvard faculty members have been awarded grants from the American Council of Learned Societies to travel aboard next year and work on post-doctoral projects in the humanities and social sciences.

James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts, will go to Rome to study the architecture of Palladio. Morton W. Bloom-field, professor of English, will spend the year at several European libraries, "mainly in Paris," studying medieval manuscripts. He will work particularly on a revised and expanded list of incipits to Latin works on the virtues and vices, and on medieval narrative techniques and problems.

Walter J. Kaiser, assistant professor of English and Comparative Literature, will study the development of certain themes in Renaissance thought and literature while travelling in Italy. Heiko A. Oberman, professor of Church History, will go to Holland, where he will work on a book about the medieval source of Reformation thought.

G. Ernest Wright, Parkman Professor of Divinity, will work in Jordan this summer and next year to continue excavations he has been working on since 1956. He is digging at Shechem, site of the largest surviving temple of ancient Palestine. While there he will serve as director of the new American School of Archaeology in Jerusalem.

53 Winners

These men are among 53 to win American Council of Learned Societies awards in a national competition. Harvard and Berkeley each had five winners; Princeton had four, and Yale, Vasser and Williams had two each.

Some of the other projects being worked on by ACLS fellowships winners are "The Grammatical Structure of the Aztec Language." "Florentine Politics 1382-1434," "Peacemaking in the Middle Ages," "An Anatomy of Time," "The Historical Relationship between Political Theorists and the Possessors of Political Power."

The average award is $5530.