Cliffies Meet, Discuss Rules Vote

'Cliffies gathered into four living rooms last night to discuss today's all-college referendum on the extension of liberal sign-out privileges to sophomores "in a well-bred manner, but with underlying hostility," as a freshman in East House put it.

The proposal would let sophomores merely estimate their sign out, to as late as they want or overnight. It was defeated by the RGA legislature on Dec. 12 by a 24 to 20 vote.

Sitting quietly in Cabot Hall's spacious living room, East House girls pondered Radcliffe's "vacuum of social pathos," "level of maturity," increased responsibilities," "desirable moral climate," and "existing condition of confusion."

In South House, however, where girls overflowed through the doors, sat and stood in uncomfortable crowds, and whispered to their neighbors, debate was much shorter. The only question discussed was the parliamentary status of the referendum, and the possibilities for further changes. Stephanie Rauschenbush '64, one of its two initiators, declared that though the referendum would only extend junior and senior rules to Thanksgiving of sophomore year, girls who want greater changes should still vote for the proposal.