Crimson Swimmers Should Swamp Big Red in Contest at Ithaca Today

For the first time in seven years, the Crimson swimming team has some glaring weaknesses, but chances are they won't show in the score of this afternoon's meet at Cornell.

Last year's varsity swimmers, who lost only to Yale in ten dual meets, over powered the Ithacans 60-35 with Crimson coach Bill Brooks doing his sports manlike best to hold down the score. This year's tankmen dropped meets to Army and Navy in December and lost their best breaststroker last week, yet they still appear to be out of the Big Red's class.

Even without Bill Chadsey, former Harvard record holder in the 200-yard breaststroke, the Crimson may sweep the 200 with junior Porky Pitts and sophomore sensation Bruce Fowler. Fowler set a Harvard record in the 100-yard breastroke as a freshman, churning the distance in 1:03.7, and has shown promise in the longer event this winter.

Freestyler Dave Abramson should give the Crimson wins at the 200-and 500-yard distances. The Ithacans most likely to challenge Abramson are Bob Kennedy, who finished a close second against Yale, and Cornell captain Vince Crockenberg, who swam the 200 in 1:57 in a winning effort against Columbia. Abramson has swum the distance in 1:51.1.