Squash Team to Tackle Quakers; Niederhoffer Plays in Tournament

By Donald E. Graham

A double-feature squash program gets underway in Hemenway Gym at noon today when Vic Niederhoffer faces Jim Zug 2B, the former Princeton ace, in the finals of the Massachusetts "A" League Tournament.

Then at 1:30 p.m. the Crimson team goes after its 27th consecutive victory against a good Penn squad. The starting time was changed from 2 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. so the Quakers can catch an early plane home.

Penn would have been a top challenger for the title if number one man Maurice Hecksher hadn't dropped out of school this fall. Without him, Penn lacks the depth and the strength at the top to be a consistent winner. They have lost to Navy 8-1, and to Yale 5-4.

Harold Coonley holds down the top spot, but the star for the Quakers this year has been number two man John Reese, who won all four of his matches.

Reese should provide a strong test for junior Bill Morris, who moves back into the number two spot for Harvard today. Morris played number two at the start of the year but was displaced by Lou Williams; Williams injured his wrist in a car accident last week, moving Morris back to number two.

All the other Crimson players move up a notch with mustachioed sophomore Peter Brooks taking over the last position on the team.

In the "A" league tournament, Niederhoffer, the defending champ, tripped teammate Romer Holleran 2-0 to make the finals. Holleran, number two man on Harvard's 1960 Ivy champions, left Harvard for three years to join the Army. He'll become eligible again in a week and should take over the number two spot on the team.

Zug won the other semifinal over veteran Henry Foster, 3-1.