THE SPORTING SCENE

Cassius and the WBA

By Peter R. Kann

Why didn't Vic Niederhoffer win the national squash championship this weekend? One reason, of course, was Henri Salaun, who had won three national titles before Niederhoffer ever picked up a squash racquet; Salaun squeaked past Vic in five thrilling games in the tournament's semifinal round.

But a second reason, just as important, was Vic Niederhoffer. "Vic was the best squash player in the U.S. last weekend," coach Jack Barnaby explained. "He controlled the play against Salaun. I wasn't surprised that Salaun lost the next day, because Vic squeezed him dry like a sponge.

"But Vic has to learn just one thing: he can't let little things distract him. He has to concentrate on playing squash."

Anyone who was in the gallery at Annapolis knew what Barnaby meant. Once, when Niederhoffer had taken the first game and the second was tied at 14-14, referee Jack Tatten took a point away from the Crimson captain on a "let point" for interfering with Salaun's shot.

Vic was obviously furious, and he let Tatten know it. Salaun whipped a shot by him on the next point and won the game two points later.

Again, in the crucial fifth game, with the score 7-7, Tatten called another "let point" against Niederhoffer. There had been three lets--points replayed at the request of a player--in the three points before Tatten made his call, and the referee was obviously fed up.

Vic Shaken

In any case, Niederhoffer was clearly shaken by the call. He whacked a shot into the tin, Salaun passed him once, and beat him once with a drop shot. The score was 11-7 and, though Niederhoffer fought back, he never again evened it up. Salaun won game and match, 15-12.

Niederhoffer is an eager squash player; he tries to anticipate his opponent's shots and move after them quickly. The policy often sends him crashing into opponents who don't move out of the way quickly enough. He gets involved in an unusual number of let calls, and this gets him into trouble. The gallery doesn't like it, his opponents get furious, and at Annapolis, at least, the referee got upset.

When Niederhoffer settled down Saturday, his play was no less than superb. In the first game he raced away to a 9-1 lead, beating Salaun with ground strokes, before a series of let calls almost rattled him into losing it. Again, in the fourth game, scarcely interrupted by a let, Niederhoffer was unstoppable; he snowed Salaun under by an almost incredible 15-7.

Salaun Apologizes

At the end of the match, Henri Salaun raised his hand and addressed a gallery which had been amazed by the calibre of the squash and appalled by the legal pyrotechnics. "We did some things that were bad this afternoon," he said. "I apologize and I know Vic joins me."

Then he went on: "Vic is a fine player; he's going to be a national champion some day, and that won't be very far, as you can see." He was right, but perhaps Niederhoffer will have to "concentrate on squash," as Jack Barnaby says, first.