LET'S PUT THE JESUS BACK IN EASTER DEPT.

The Crime

By W.p.s. & J.s.s.

Outgrow the Easter bunny and jelly bean bit years ago. Got no new clothes to show off. There's the Easter Parade song--remember how cool you felt when you found out what a rotogravure was? Now you don't even know if you'll put in an appearance at church to see all the folks who are putting in their annual appearances at church. What's Easter, anyway?

Might thumb down to Florida and see what's happening at Lauderdale and Daytona. Lots of beer and maybe some lovin'. Like to make the Bermuda scene, but can't afford it. Too bad. Would be kicks.

Could go home and relax for a week. See the family. Check out a couple of job possibilities. Summer's getting pretty close. Might do a little reading, but mostly back around. Easter's a good time of year for that sort of thing.

Things sure have changed. Quite a switch from Easter bunnies and baskets to Bermuda and booze. It's kind of easy to forget the Story they taught us when we were kids. Guess they still go for it in churches.

But then the trees bud and dead grass grows and the world wakes up. People change. They forget the cold and they open their windows. And you think about His awakening. You know, a lot has changed since then. It makes you sort of wonder.

(The preceding editorial is reprinted in its entirety from the HSA Calendar, March 23, 1964)