Linguistics Dept. Plans Expansion of Program

By Hendrik Hertzberg

The University has launched a concerted effort to strengthen graduate and undergraduate studies in the area of linguistics, Calvert W. Watkins, Chairman of the Department of Linguistics, said yesterday.

The move involves adding new professors who will hold chairs in both the Linguistics Department and one other Department. With this expanded staff Watkins said, Linguistics will be able to offer "substantially more" courses next fall.

One new appointment has already been made. Einar Haugen, now at the University of Wisconsin, will become a professor of Scandinavian and Linguistics on July 1. President Pusey is expected to recommend at least two, and possibly as many as four, additional sush joint appointments to the Board of Overseers at their meeting Monday.

The University is reportedly very pleased with Haugen's decision to come to Harvard. At Wisconsin, Haugen holds one of the desirable Vilas Professorships, roughly equivalent to a University Professorship here.

Haugen, an expert in general linguistics and in the Norwegian language, was attracted in part by Widener Library's considerable Scandinavian collection. The hope is that Haugen will draw talented graduate students to this collection, which has not been much used in the past.

According to Dean Ford, the appointments to be made this mnoth will involve areas not now covered. Although the University will remain weak in African languages. Ford said, there will be a "considerable cluster of strength" in linguistics and languages by next year.

Joint Appointments

The system of joint appointments has made it possible for the Department of Linguistics to expand its scope without Faculty legislation or any large expenditure of funds. At least eight scholars now on the Faculty are voting members of both the Department of Linguistics and a specific language Department.

The expanson is being carried out according to recommendations made three years ago by a Faculty committee under J.P. Elder, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.