House Defeats Fourth Bill to Delay Beginning of Work on Underpasses

The Massachusetts House of Representatives defeated, 97-74, a bill yesterday evening that would have delayed construction of the Memorial Drive underpasses. Three previous measures that would have had the same effect have already been rejected by the House.

The bill, 112122, would have directed the Metropolitan Planning Council to conduct a comprehensive study of five proposed highway projects in the Cambridge area, including the widening of Memorial Drive.

Vote Closer

The vote was significantly closer than on the previous underpass bill, which was defeated by 109-76. Rep. William P. Homans '41 (D-Cambridge), the sponsor of the most recent bill, attributed the gain to a broadening of debate on the bill to include more than purely local issues.

Homans said that a campaign to interest legislators in the broad question of the future of transportation in the metropolitan area had convinced many of them to delay any hasty action on high way construction.

The House will have another chance to reconsider the issue sometime after March 10, when another Homans spon sored bill, 111444, will be reported out of the Transportation Committee. This bill which would create a Greater Boston Transportation Agency to study all as pects of the metropolitan transportation problem, would also delay new construction on Memorial Drive.

Meeting Held

Meanwhile, the Citizens Emergency Committee to Save Memorial Drive held a meeting last night to organize a fund drive. They hope to conduct a statewide campaign to influence legislators outside the metropolitan area to vote for the new bill.

Since only 12 votes need to be changed in the House, there is a good chance that the measure may be approved according to John R. Moot '42, one of the leaders of the group.