Dining Halls Dept. Examines Plans To Serve Steak at College's Meals

Undergraduates will dine on steak once a week, if identical proposals submitted by the HCUA Dining Halls Committee and the Adams House Committee are adopted by the dining hall department.

The proposals call for a weekly serving of an 8 to 10 ounce steak on a "firsts only" basis. Hopefully, not serving second helpings would offset the extra cost of the steak.

More Food or Better?

The Adams House proposal was prompted by a remark by R.T. Martin, Manager of the Adams House Dining Hall. In response to a student inquiry, Martin said that he could provide food of superior quality if he did not have to serve second helpings.

The House Committee voted on Feb. 13 to ask Martin for a trial "steak night" as soon as possible, on a date night when there is no interhouse. Martin said yesterday that he would schedule the meal for sometime in April, if the plan receives the approval of the dining hall department.

The HCUA's interest was aroused by a Winthrop House petition, signed by roughly half of the membership of the House, asking for weekly steak. A joint Winthrop-HCUA contingent, led by Steven K. Katona '66, visited C. Graham Hurlbut, Jr., director of the dining hall department, in early February and asked for his cooperation.

Costing It Out

Hurlbut has asked the department dietician and meat buyer to investigate the feasibility of the proposal. "We're costing the situation out," he said yesterday, "We've held our board rate constant for four years, and we don't want an increase now," he added.

Hurlbut said he was in favor of preserving gastronomical equality among the Houses, "If one House gets the steak plan, they all should," he said.