TKO's, Bloody Noses Mark House Boxing

By Peter R. Kann

Three hundred and fifty Harvard students crowded the IAB bleachers yesterday to see their friends and roommates draw blood and lose blood in the annual intramural boxing championship.

For those of the flistic fans who remember the great days of Rick Rice and Ricardo Wilson the afternoon was a disappointment. And even for the spectators who came for the blood and the KO's, the spectacle could hardly have been satisfying.

The only real excitement of the afternoon was Owen Hanley's upset victory over defending 145-pound champion Jack D'Arcy. Hanley's strategy of measured retreat, quick jabs, sharp counterpunching, and effective clinching was the smart man's answer to the D'Arcy attack.

D'Arcy, anxious to throw his strong right hook, consistently held it too low to provide adequate defense against Hanley's jabs which bloodied D'Arcy's face by the second round. Hanley's face-high fists served to block most of D'Arcy's blows, while the champ failed to punch to Hanley's vulnerable body.

D'Arcy was constantly on the offensive, but his blows tended to be wild and inflicted little damage for most of the fight. In the third and last round D'Arcy finally landed some hard hooks to the body and head and a sharp uppercut to the face, but the barrage came too late. Hanley had carried rounds one and two on points.

In the 155-pound class, hard-punching Art Campbell took a controversial decision from a faster-moving Kim Johnson. In a slow first round Johnson displayed a hard left jab but failed to throw it with any regularity. Campbell landed a few strong combinations to the body.

Johnson opened round two with more sharp jabbing, but sometime in mid-round he made the mistake of abandoning the jab-and-retreat tactics for a frontal assault that cost him the round. The stronger Campbell took a few of Johnson's punches and then countered with a hail of powerful hooks and uppercuts that battered Johnson into the ropes.

In round three Johnson came back with a dazzling series of stacatto jabs that rendered Campbell ineffective and drew enthusiastic approval from the crowd. The decision was by no means obvious.

Dick Szum in the 165-pound class contributed the only total demolition job of the day by pounding a game Todd Cobey to the canvass three times in the first round for a TKO victory.

Ten seconds after the first round began, Szum landed his first punch, a fearsome right hook to Cobey's left temple. Obviously stunned by the impact, Cobey could offer little resistance as Szum swarmed in with a series of clubbing rights and lefts that floored his opponent.

The fearless, but hapless Cobey arose only to fall again under a rain of upper-cuts. This time Cobey not only stood up, but he also fought back. Instead of jabbing and retreating, however, Cobey abandoned defenses and tried to trade punches. It was an unfavorable exchange for Cobey who was decked for the third time. The referee then stopped the fight