Swimmers Face Undefeated Yale

The swimming team travels to New Haven today to become the 13th consecutive Eli victim of the season.

Harvard coach Bill Brooks has no illusions about upsetting one of the greatest teams in the history of great teams at Yale, but he has hopes of enough Crimson scoring against the Eli today to sour the greedy smiles on the faces of the New Haven fans.

Last year Yale coach Phil Moriarty did his best to run up the score against an outclassed Crimson squad, and there is no indication that he has changed his tactics in 12 short months.

Dive Victory is Certain

But the Crimson may need no favors to improve on last year's 67-27 defeat. The most certain Harvard first place seems to be in the dive, where Dan Mahoney should capture first place against Eli sophomore Stu Jones.

In the 500-yard freestyle, Crimson junior Dave Abramson looks like a good bet to conquer his Eli opposition. Yale's Joe Hill and Lynn Straw need about 5:15 to churn the distance, not fast enough if Abramson has a good day. The Crimson junior also has a chance for a first at the 200-yard distance.

Crimson sophomore Bruce Fowler should finish no worse than second in the 200-yard breaststroke, and might upset Eli Dale Kiefer for the victory. Kiefer has been timed around the 2:19 mark.

Harry Turner, in the 200-yard butterfly, and Henry Frey, in the 200-yard individual medley, also have a shot at runner-up finishes today.

But the deluge comes in the sprint events. Yale's Mike Austin and Steve Clark share the NCAA mark in the 100-yard freestyle with blistering 47-flats. Clark has been flirting with 0:21 in the 50-yard free.

In a prelude to the 4 p.m. varsity contest, the Yardlings will engage the Bullpups at 2 p.m. The Eli squad is undefeated, and owns a 49-46 win over Princeton, the only team to blemish the Crimson's record. NCAA freshman record-holders Neville Hayes and Jim Seubold will lead the Yarding tankmen in what promises to be a close meet