Arbitration Legislation

Within the past year collective bargaining in the railroad industry has become a completely hollow phrase denoting frustration and immobility. Despite the efforts of several impartial mediation boards, the railroads's five-year-old work rules dispute was thrust into Congress last summer when the first peace time arbitration law in history was needed to prevent a crippling national walkout.

Now a new strike is threatened over the "minor" issues unresolved by legislation. All the issues left out of the compulsory arbitration law were passed upon more than two years ago by a distinguished Presidential commission. But, although railroad management accepted the recommendations, collective bargaining has been thwarted by the five operating brotherhoods who have consistently refused to negotiate within the commission's report.

And in an election year the unions are not likely to change their demands. They know how reluctant Congress was to pass the arbitration bill, and they appreciate fully the desire of a Southern President with a rural background to placate the labor vote.

Johnson has won a 15-day strike postponement, but if negotiations fail, and it appears likely that they will, he will be forced to turn to legislation. And if he does, he should suggest a bill paralleling last year's law. Although the brotherhoods will strongly oppose impartial arbitration because it will surely follow recommendations they dislike, President Johnson should not succumb to the pressure mounted by the unions, should not allow them to parlay political strength into unwarranted concessions from Congress.