Luther, Sargent Pitch Baseball Team To Easy 9-1 Win Over Springfield

Stephenson Hitting Star

The varsity baseball team racked three Springfield pitchers for 11 hits Saturday while Andy Luther and Lee Sargent combined to throw a two-hitter and beat the Gymnasts 9-1.

The varsity took charge in the first; Skip Falcone walked and was forced by George Neville. Mike Patrick singled Neville to third and when Springfield pitcher Don Robbins cut off the throw and threw wild to third, Neville came in to score. Stephenson's infield hit scored Patrick to make it 2-0.

Catcher Gary Miller walked to lead off the fourth and went to second as Bob St. George grounded out. Luther singled in the runner and came around himself when Falcone was hit by a pitch and Neville tripled.

Stephenson led off the fifth with a triple and Miller brought him home with a single. John Dockery batted for Al Liebgott and singled Miller to third; he scored when centerfielder Neil Stam bobbled the ball.

Both the last two runs came the same way; twice with runners on first and third the Crimson pulled a double steal, with Falcone scoring in the eighth and Miller in the ninth.

Luther pitched six innings for Harvard and gave up both hits. Sargent allowed the only run, in the seventh on a two-base throwing error by shortstop Jim Tobin and two infield outs.