Harvard to Stay First in Yesses

Harvard is again predicting the highest freshman acceptance rate in the Ivy League, according to admissions data released yesterday. The admissions office predicts that 83 per cent of those accepted will register this fall.

Princeton is anticipating the next highest acceptance rate. Since 1165 applicants were admitted to fill 810 places, 70 per cent of the prospective freshmen will have to choose Princeton in order to fill the class.

Pennsylvania, in contrast, admitted 2700 applicants to fill 1575 places, assuming an acceptance rate of slightly over 50 per cent.

Yale, Columbia, and Dartmouth all accepted about 60 per cent more applicants than they have places for.

Harvard Among Most Selective

The hardest colleges to get into were Harvard, Princeton, and Brown. Harvard rejected 3500 out of 5700 applicants, or almost 80 per cent. Princeton and Brown each rejected about the same proportion of their applicants, while Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale rejected about 70 per cent. Cornell and Pennsylvania accepted the highest percentage of their applicants--about 40 per cent.

Out of 47,370 applicants for the Ivy League colleges, only 14,100 were accepted, making the overall rejection rate 69 per cent.